Doctors Without Borders / Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural and man-made disasters and exclusion from healthcare in more than 70 countries. MSF offers assistance to people based on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF has worked in India since 1999, providing free-of-charge essential healthcare to people in remote areas, and specialist care for people affected by HIV/AIDS, hepatitis C, tuberculosis, kala azar and sexual and gender-based violence. We also respond to natural disasters and other emergencies, provide mental healthcare and advocate for the development of more effective and affordable medicines to improve access to treatment for people everywhere.
We currently run projects in the states of Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Delhi, Jammu and Kashmir, Jharkhand, Maharashtra, Manipur, Telangana, and Uttar Pradesh.
MSF was awarded the Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development in 1996 and the Nobel Peace Prize in 1999.
Job Title: Intern, Communications Department
Duration: 3 months, with the possibility of an extension
Hierarchy: Reports to Head of Communications, and to relevant middle management team members on a rotational basis.
Last Date of Application: 10th October 2019
Main Tasks and Responsibilities
The intern will rotate under different sections of the Communications department, spending about 2 weeks (flexible) under each.
- The intern will get an introduction to writing and editing for MSF using the MSF style guide
- The intern will accompany the editor on briefings/debriefings with MSF field staff
- He/she will draft and edit stories
- He/she will be trained to use the media database, and be expected to suggest ways of using it creatively for internal and external uses
- The intern will learn gain skills in social media, including an understanding of how to make the most of each social media platform
- He/she will gain an understanding of digital analytics/metrics and how those are used to shape online communications
- The intern will be expected to come up with ideas for how best to promote MSF on social media and digitally
- The intern will learn about SEO strategy, Google Adwords and related tools
- He/she will be expected to audit content on the MSF India website and come up with recommendations on how to improve its usability and interactivity
Campaigns and Events
- The intern will support the events team by researching venues, liaisoning with the venue, helping with the production of the publicity material for the campaign, collaborations, sponsors and partnerships and assist with other tasks given to him/her by the Content & Campaigns Manager.
- He/she will assist with post event tasks such as data collation, post event analysis report, stock taking of team inventory under the supervision of the Content & Campaigns Manager.
- He/she will assist the events team in planning and execution of an event: This includes all logistical activities; preparing, shipping, set-up and storage, transportation of materials.
- The intern will be responsible for maintaining inventory lists, protecting MSF India property used in the events, as well as implementing all tasks given to her/him.
- He/she will assist the Content & Campaigns Manager on production of communication material including but not restricted to videos, calendars, brochures, leaflets
- To update the ‘Events and Campaign’ stats (which includes total number of visitors, newsletter subscription, visitors on Social Media, Fundraising, Media,) on an excel sheet.
- To assist the Communications Assistant with dispatching ‘Internal Communications Package’ which is a project to support the visibility of MSF in India by sharing stories from the people who works for MSF.
- The intern will get an introduction to networking with journalists and pitching MSF related stories to media organisations
- He/she will learn about how the Communications Department trains MSF staff on how to talk to the media
- He/she will learn how to write press releases
- The intern will be involved in some administrative work, including filing our media folder with articles (about MSF) and updating the media board with the same articles.
- He/she will also help update the MSF in the News section on our website
- The intern will be expected to come up with news worthy pitches on MSF related topics
General Administrative Duties
In addition to the above career oriented skills, the intern will occassionally help out with general admnistrative duties including:
- Database management
- Creating and organizing office filing systems, physical and electronic
- Assist the team in submitting invoices of the vendors/clients that we work with
- Follow up on forms/info required/ mail IDs
- Assist with specific campaign-related activities as per the requirement.
- Strong communications and interpersonal skills
- Strong behavioral and organisational skills (should be able to adapt to demanding circumstances)
- Currently pursuing a degree in communications, marketing or related field, or a recent communications/related field graduate.
Contract, Payments and Other Indications
- The MSF India intern will get a travel allowance for the number of days they are in the office (per day INR 182 and for 22 working days INR 6000) on a pro-rata basis
- Any additional expenses must be approved and will be reimbursed on the submission of bills.